Sunday, May 19, 2013

World Baking Day - Bake Brave - Crunchy Strawberry Cake


Today is World Baking Day and luckily enough it fell on a weekend and even on a long weekend which meant I could go home to see my folks and have enough people to polish off a cake like this one!



When I saw Marcus' Crunchy Strawberry Chocolate Cake for the first time a few weeks ago I knew I had to make it! I love strawberries, I love chocolate cake and I love whipped cream so this cake fit my preferences almost perfectly! 
Banner World Baking Day 2013


I started off yesterday, make the chocolate sponge and also the striped sponge cake for the outsided of the cake. Today I finished the rest of the cake, I pureed the strawberries, melted chocolate, whipped cream, dipped some more strawberries in chocolate, assembled the cake and made the shiny jelly icing.



It was quite a bit of work, especially standing in the kitchen on a beautiful day like today, but every now and then I would get a visitor in the kitchen who would ah and oh and ask what I was doing, so overall it was fun!




This afternoon we all sat down outside, in the sun, with a cup of tea and a lot of cake! I also made a banoffee pie which was a lot easier in the preparation and also very delicious! 




I will definitely make the strawberry cake again, but I would probably leave out the shiny jelly icing. I'm just not a great fan of jelly, so I would probably just put a simply chocolate coating on top. You only need a small slice of the cake, but it sure does impress, especially when you cut it and you can see the chocolate covered strawberries inside!




Happy World Baking Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment